East Zion District Congress of Christian Education Scheduled
By M. Patterson, Director; FBC Communications & PR | July 2, 2018
The leadership of the East Zion Consolidated District has announced the 98th Annual Session of the District Congress of Christian Education, scheduled for July 16 – 20, 2018. This year’s theme is “Envisioning the Future Exceptionally as We Equip Disciples for Christ,” John 16:13; Galatians 5:22-23; Ephesians 4:12, 13; 2 Timothy 3:16, 17.
Host churches for the session are St. Luke Baptist Church, Spencer, Rev. Kenneth West, Host Pastor, and Northeast Missionary Baptist Church, Forest Park, Congress President Rev. Michael McDaniel, Host Pastor. Adult classes, Children and Youth and General Assemblies will be held at St. Luke’s campus. Mid-Day classes, along with the Young Adult Course and I-Rock Preparation, will be held at Northeast Baptist. The Congress offers classes and programs for ages two years through adult.
The session kickoff will be a Pre-Registration Service on Sunday evening, July 8, at the Northeast Missionary Baptist Church. The service will begin at 5:00 p.m. Rev. Larry Crudup, Pastor of Tabernacle Baptist Church in OKC, will be the preacher. Registration will be open during that time to allow churches and delegates to complete their registration process and avoid normal frustrations associated with first day-registration.
The Congress officially opens on July 16 at 6:00 p.m. Evening classes will be held Monday through Thursday, beginning at 6:00 p.m. Two mid-day courses are offered this year and will meet Monday – Thursday from 11:30 to 1:00 p.m. The Dean’s Annual Address will be on Tuesday, July 17, at 7:00 p.m. The President’s Annual Message will be Thursday, July 19, 7:00 p.m. The Annual Session will close on Friday night with the Children and Youth Rally and the iROCK Young Adult Explosion.
The District Congress of Christian Education is the education arm of the East Zion Consolidated District Association and is affiliated with the Oklahoma Baptist State Convention and the National Baptist Convention (NBC), USA, Inc, and is responsible for teaching and training classes in every aspect of Christian Education. Courses offered are certified through the Sunday School Publishing Board (SSPB) of the NBC, USA, Inc.
Those taking a Mid-Day course may enroll in an evening course as well. They will have the ability to receive two course credits during the session.
Young adults, ages 18 – 35, are encouraged to enroll in Course No. 8067 – Being Christian, Happy and Single, led by Rev. Keith Toles of Pilgrim Rest Baptist Church. In addition to the course of study, the participants will have the opportunity to experience and express themselves through demonstration of spiritual authenticity, integrating Biblical study, thematic messages, music, dance, and other expressions. The culmination will be the iROCK Young Adult Explosion on Friday night, following the Children and Youth Rally.
The Children and Youth Department, under the Direction of Rev. James Brown, of Greater Shiloh, has a designed program and dedicated, trained staff to provide Christian education to those aged 2 – 17. Their week study is showcased on Friday night at the Children and Youth Rally.
This year’s adult course offerings and assigned instructors are, respectively:
- No. 1011 – Survey of Genesis: Rev. Allen Threatt, III, Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church, Arcadia
- No. 1022 – Survey of Kings: Rev. Kelly Booker, New Union Baptist Church, OKC
- No. 1075 – The Synoptic Gospels: Rev. Raymond Wandick, First Baptist, Green Pastures
- No. 1079 – Survey of John: Rev. Arthur Crawford, Fairview Baptist Church, OKC
- No. 1095 – Survey of Ephesians: Rev. Earl Bryant, Wildewood Baptist Church, OKC
- No. 1081 – The Teachings of Jesus: Rev. Hersey Hammons, First Baptist Church, Guthrie
- No. 1089 – Survey of Romans: Rev. J. L. Mitchell, Tabitha Baptist Church, OKC
- No. 1109 – Eschatology: Rev. Orlando Black, Greater Shiloh Baptist Church, OKC
- No. 1114 – Women in the New Testament: Sis. Ramona Dindy, Greater Bethel Baptist Church, OKC
- No. 2023 – Creative Ways of Teaching: Rev. Teron Gaddis, Greater Bethel Baptist Church, OKC
- No. 3007 – History of Baptists: Bro. Bob Simmons, Fairview Baptist Church, OKC
- No. 4001 – Basic Christian Beliefs: Rev. Ray Douglas, Greater Mt. Olive Baptist Church, OKC
- No. 4012 – The Doctrine of the Holy Spirit: Rev. Arthur Rainey, Hillwood Baptist Church, Spencer
- No. 5001 – Introduction to Leadership: Rev. Craig Finley, First Baptist Church – Hicks Addition, Spencer
- No. 7008 – Reaching the Unchurched (Mid-Day Course, 11:30-1pm): Rev. Michael Chapple, Sr., Greater New Zion Baptist Church, OKC
- No. 7010 – Introduction to Discipleship: Rev. Larry Crudup, Tabernacle Baptist Church, OKC
- No. 7024 – Discovering Your Spiritual Gifts: Sis. Iris Copeland, Pilgrim Baptist Church, Tatums
- No. 8035 – African-American Church & Social Justice: Rev. Darryl Fields, Union Baptist Church, Shawnee
- No. 8066 – Christianity and Contemporary Issues (Mid-Day Course, 11:30-1pm): Rev. Kenneth Chapman, Jr., House of Prayer Baptist Church, Del City
Early registration is encouraged to assure entrance in the desired courses. Those needing nursery services should RSVP to the Congress Dean’s Office at 405-388-1419 or email@example.com.
The leadership of the EZCDA encourages all churches of the District, as well as unaffiliated persons of the area, to be a part of the worship and study periods. Rev. L. Mike Woodberry is District Moderator, Rev. Michael McDaniel is Congress President and Sis. Lavinnie L. Moore is Congress Dean.
Questions regarding the Congress or a specified course of study should be directed to the Dean’s Office at the contact information above.